Despite the low invasiveness and the minimum number of side effects after using injection techniques for the correction of mimic wrinkles, they are still present. So, the introduction of Dysport can cause a cosmetic defect - ptosis of the upper eyelid.
There are no means to fully protect against the unpleasant effects of neurotoxin injections. But it is possible to reduce the risk of complications by using the recommendations of the doctors of the Poltava Clinic of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery. The rich experience and high qualification of the clinic specialists minimize the likelihood of side effects after administration of the drug and give the necessary recommendations to prevent negative phenomena.
Why do injections of toxin cause ptosis of the eyelid?
There are only two physiological mechanisms leading to the ptosis of the upper eyelid after the Dysport injections:
- Excessive muscle relaxation after the procedure. In this case the accompanying ptosis of an eyebrow that is strengthening asymmetry of the face can be observed.
- Impaired outflow of venous blood and lymphatic fluid due to poor muscle tone. The condition is accompanied by a strong swelling of the forehead and eyelids and leads to the displacement of the "heavier" tissues.
The external manifestations of these situations is very similar, but the complications should be treated quite differently. Only a doctor may determine the reason of the ptosis, therefore self-treatment based on dubious friendly advice is not recommended.
Who is to blame?
If there are unpleasant consequences after the injection of Dysport, you should not immediately blame the doctor who performed the procedure. Your own body may fail as well. The factors that increase the risk of tissue ptosis are:
- Individual susceptibility to the preparation. A large number of repeated injections increases the likelihood of unwanted effects. Omission may occur after 3-4 or more procedures. The maximum risk for developing of ptosis arises after 8-10 courses of injection of Dysport, which were regularly conducted for three or four years without a period of recovery of muscle mobility. If the eyebrows, forehead or tissues around the eye have dropped once, then the cosmetologists prefer to use an alternative method of rejuvenation in the future or to narrow the areas of correction with the preparation.
- Excess of the required dose. Improper dilution, careless injections and following the tendency to work with high doses of Dysport often result in unpleasant consequences in the form of visual displacement of the tissues of the upper third of the face.
- Injections made on the points basis. Inexperienced cosmetologists prefer to act according to memorized schemes because of fear to make a mistake, while not taking into account the anatomical aspects of the patient’s face. One of the typical points of the injection of Dysport is just 1 cm away from the inner edge of the eyebrow. But the location of the eyebrows is different for different persons, so there is a risk to introduce the drug into the frontal muscle or some part of the circular muscles of the eye pit. Accordingly, the result of injections that is obtained differs from the conceived one, and the corner of the eye inevitably goes down.
- Aspects of diffusion of the preparation in soft tissues. After the injection of Dysport, the substance spreads through the tissues that are located near the point of injection. A high level of diffusion of the drug is often accompanied by paralysis of not only the target muscles, but also of the surrounding muscles.
Symptoms and consequences of the ptosis of the upper eyelid
Ptosis of facial tissues is not difficult to notice. The corner of the eyelid goes down and visually reduces the size of the eye. The process of ptosis lasts differently and may be accompanied by a change in the position of the eyebrow or tissues of the forehead. It is possible to detect signs of ptosis in 2-3 days after the procedure, but sometimes a side effect appears later (in 1-2 weeks). The ptosis of tissues can be of the following types:
- unilateral, affecting only one eye;
The ptosis may also be:
- partial - when the edge of the eyelid is located at the level of the upper third of the pupil;
- incomplete - when the edge of the eyelid is located at the level that is covering about half of the pupil;
- full - when the edge of the eyelid a fully covers the pupil.
The following can be observed together with ptosis:
- The asymmetry of the face occurring due to the changes in the visible size of the palpebral fissure covered by the eyelid and the displacement of the position of the eyebrows;
- Chronic irritation of the cornea due to impaired blinking;
- The emergence of a feeling of heaviness in the area of the eyelids or forehead. The emergence of the habit of throwing back the head to get a normal review;
- Tearing due to paralysis of individual circular muscle fragments. With the spreading of the preparation onto the eye muscle, the strabismus and reduced visual acuity may develop.
How is it possible to eliminate ptosis after Dysport?
In order to cope with the undesirable effects of the rejuvenation procedure, it is enough for the patients to wait in most cases. Ptosis is inversive, and the eyelid that has changed its position can return to the desired position after a few weeks. But this is not always the case: sometimes the recovery process takes about six months, ending with the Dysport activity.
The following may be performed in order to get rid of the aesthetic defect at least partially:
- Make a neurotoxin injection into the fibers of the muscle that lowers the upper eyelid. This leads to a balance in the strength of antagonistic muscles and the normalization of blinking. With a slight ptosis, a small dose of Dysport can be introduced into the muscles that hold the eyebrow on the side that is opposite to the problem eyelid.
- Take preparations that promote the speedy restoration of the mobility of the face muscles and strengthen the muscle fibers. Such medicines are prescribed via the course and bring visible results only with a mild ptosis of the eyelids.
- Use physiotherapy. Muscle stimulation by means of physiotherapeutic methods (microcurrents, muscle toning) reduces the recovery period after an unsuccessful procedure. The exposure to heat is also possible, but such procedures are often accompanied by the occurrence of swelling.
Eyelid surgery is not used for ptosis of facial tissues after the introduction of Dysport. If the abovementioned methods did not help to get rid of the aesthetic defect, you will have to wait for as long as will take until the muscles return to their normal state.
How is it possible to prevent the ptosis of the eyelid?
In order to minimize the risk of ptosis after injection rejuvenation, you should:
- Contact only certified physicians with sufficient experience. A qualified doctor will not allow overdose or accidental administration of the drug to the wrong muscle.
- Postpone the procedure if you notice mild neurological symptoms: a slight asymmetry of the face after a busy day, the visible aging of the face features due to fatigue. Excessive strain of the muscle fibers can cause an unpredictable reaction to a neurotoxin injection.
- Follow all medical recommendations in the recovery period (do not rub, do not massage the face, do not go to the bath or sauna, limit physical activity). An increase in body temperature can cause swelling and lead to a temporary omission of weakened tissues.
The appearance of ptosis does not necessarily mean the abandonment of Dysport. If you wish to continue the rejuvenation with this method, the doctor will change the way of drug administration so that you can continue to enjoy youth and beauty.