Facial plastic is almost the basic direction in plastic surgery. Lip correction is also included in this category. Cheiloplasty is a plastic intervention aimed at reshaping, adding volume, and increasing and decreasing the lip. It is used in cases where injection techniques are ineffective. The operation has shown its effectiveness in situations where there is a natural or age-related change in the shape of the lips.
What are the types of cheiloplasty
To achieve a good result, several options for lip plastics have been developed. Among them we single out:
- bulhorn. Plastic surgery aimed at correcting the upper lip. Translated from English, the term "bullhorn" means bull horns, which is observed during the operation. So, excision of a small area of skin is performed, which is located above the upper lip and in its shape resembles bovine horns. The intervention allows you to reduce the distance between the nose and the red border of the upper lip. After the operation, a persistent effect remains, which is achieved by fixing the skin flap towards the periosteum;
- non-surgical or contour cheiloplasty. An intervention that involves avoiding surgery. Contouring is usually understood as the use of injections. In practice, substances that are neutral for the human body or lipofilling are used. Among the popular drugs, there is a filler based on hyaluronic acid. Unlike other substances, hyaluronic acids are absorbable and are better perceived by the human body;
- surgical methods. Among them are: vermillion lift and V-Y correction. If we talk about a vermillion lift, then the operation involves the excision of excess skin at the top, bottom and on the lifting of the red border of the lips. In some cases, they resort to a slight outward turn of the lip. It is used in situations where filler application is impossible or difficult. The V-Y method aims to compensate for excess tissue by making a special incision. The operation is performed on the inside of the lip, where a V-shaped incision is made. By its structure, this type of excision is aimed at capturing a larger volume of tissue, which is sutured with a suture resembling the letter Y.
Indications for lip surgery
Lip augmentation surgery has a number of indications. The main ones are:
- asymmetrical shape or small size. Performed in cases where a person is dissatisfied with the appearance of his lips;
- insufficient volume of the lower or upper lip. In such cases, they resort to the use of fillers or surgical interventions;
- age-related changes. These include mimic wrinkles, drooping of the lower lip;
- fuzzy outline;
- congenital or acquired organic diseases. There are a number of congenital abnormalities that affect the structure of the lips. These include: cleft lip, cleft palate. Such diseases are characterized not only by a violation of the structure of the lip, but also by other parts of the facial skull, which requires an integrated approach. We also note that oncological diseases can be the reason for contacting a beautician;
- traumatic lesions, papillomas and scars;
- correction due to misapplication of injections. In such situations, it is necessary to consult a surgeon, since treatment is possible only by surgery;
- gum exposure when smiling.
Cheiloplasty can be performed at the Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Poltava. We accept patients from all regions of Ukraine, including Kiev and Kharkov. An appointment for a consultation to clarify the cost is carried out on the official website. Additionally, you can read customer reviews about the work of our specialists.
Cheiloplasty, like other surgical interventions, cannot be performed in a number of situations. These include:
- exacerbation of herpetic lesions. During the height of the disease, there is a possibility of complicating the course of the process, since herpes is a pathology caused by a decrease in the factors of the immune system. In such cases, the operation can negatively say on the patient's protective barriers, which will complicate the course of the herpetic process;
- diabetes. Refers to multicomponent diseases that negatively affect human metabolism. In patients with diabetes mellitus, the recovery process is much worse, which forces doctors to abandon such interventions;
- inflammatory and infectious processes in the area of cheiloplasty. If there is a focus of inflammation on the lips, it is worth refraining from the operation, as there is a risk of bringing the operation deep into the tissues;
- autoimmune diseases. In conditions of intervention on the face, the greatest danger is lupus. Surgical operation negatively affects the course of autoimmune pathology;
- neurological lesions. Among these, it is worth highlighting lesions of the trigeminal nerve, which prohibits cheiloplasty, since one of the branches is innervated in these zones. Otherwise, an attack may occur, which requires urgent medical attention;
- SARS and flu. They are a relative contraindication, but in the case of these pathologies, it is worth refraining from manipulating, since there is a weakening of immunity.
- Preliminary consultation of the surgeon.
- Twelve days before the operation it is necessary to undergo a laboratory examination. List of analyzes
- careful marking
- forming of short distance between an overhead lip and columella
How is preparation for cheiloplasty
Before performing an operation, the patient must undergo a consultation with a surgeon, where all aspects of the future operation will be explained, all risks are highlighted and the rehabilitation period is indicated. It is also necessary to go through a number of studies that will help eliminate difficulties when performing cheiloplasty:
- general blood analysis;
- determination of blood group and coagulogram. It is necessary to establish clotting;
- electrocardiogram. Performed to determine the function of the cardiovascular system. The fact of the absence of heart failure is established;
- a reaction to the use of an anesthetic or filler. Allows to exclude anaphylactic reactions to the injected components.
Consultation and testing takes place twelve days before cheiloplasty.
How is the operation performed
Surgical methods are similar to each other, therefore, we will consider the course of the intervention using the example of Bulhorn. The procedure is performed in stages:
- marking and defining operating margins. The surgeon establishes the size of the excision zone, which will visually assess the location of the incisions and subsequent work;
- removal of the site. The removed volume of the skin allows for a tightening of the edges, which as a result opens the smile line, moves forward and lifts the red border of the lips;
- suturing. It is carried out under the lower edge of the nose, which makes it invisible. Absorbable sutures are used, which eliminates an additional visit to remove threads.
As stated earlier, these surgical techniques are similar, but differ. Among them are:
- location. The operation can take place both on the outside and on the inside of the lip;
- cut shape;
- suturing method.
Type of anesthesia
Hospital or ambulatory
Plastic procedures that are performed on the lips are considered minimally invasive and can be performed on an outpatient basis. After cheiloplasty, the patient goes home. The rehabilitation process can take up to one month, depending on the quality of the recovery measures. At the end of this period, the patient can observe changes.
Features of postoperative wound care and limitations
As practice has shown, an operating wound does not require the use of additional treatment tools. But, there are recommendations that contribute to early healing:
- do not eat spicy and hot foods. In such cases, additional irritation can occur, which can complicate the recovery process. Note that this rule is relevant in the case of surgery on the inner side of the lip;
- refusal of excessive physical activity. To a greater extent, it concerns men, since there is a practice of complications due to physical overstrain;
- try to limit the mimic activity of the face, since in such cases the likelihood of seam divergence increases;
- avoid visiting saunas, pools and baths;
- nutrition control. It is important to eat chopped foods, as well as those rich in vitamin A. It promotes rapid healing of the surgical wound.
You can familiarize yourself with the rules for the rehabilitation period at a consultation, where a plastic surgeon will tell you in detail about the intricacies of the period, as well as the cost of the intervention.
Complications after cheiloplasty
The following complications may occur after a lip lift:
- pain syndrome in the area of the surgical wound;
- swelling of the lips. The condition goes away on its own after a week;
- numbness. It also goes away on its own for one week.
Results of the procedure
At the end of the recovery period, observe:
- elimination of congenital or acquired lip pathology;
- reduction or enlargement of the lips;
- reshaping and giving volume;
- elimination of wrinkles and tightening of corners.
You can see the results of the work in the "Reviews" section, which contains photographs before and after surgery, as well as reviews of the operations performed from our clients.
How much does cheiloplasty cost
You can find out the cost of cheiloplasty on the official website in the "Our Prices" section. Note that the final price may change depending on the volume of work, therefore, a consultation is carried out in advance. Registration is carried out on the website in the "Contacts" section.
Our clinic is located in Poltava and accepts patients from all over Ukraine, including Kiev and Kharkov.